Tuesday, April 17, 2018

White Flowers


Hello, Dear Friends, I hope that you are enjoying 
the sweet, simple pleasures of life, 
as we are changing seasons, ever so slowly. 

Here in the foothills of the Cascade mountains 
of Washington State, the weather has been very wet
and cool, with snow still falling in the 
lower altitudes. We are just below this snow-line, 
and the mountain breezes are brisk, but the longer days 
more than make up for it. 

When the sun does come out, it is gloriously warm, 
but the sunshine has been elusive these last few weeks. 


I've been slipping outside in between showers to 
visit the flowers, whenever I get the chance. 

This year, I am in love with all-white flowers. 


There is something so calming and serene 
about white flowers. 

Here I have white Primrose

They are very cold hardy and bloom for weeks at a time. 

When they are done blooming, I can plant them in the garden. 
(I simply keep them in their nursery pots
and tuck them in with moss)


I collect green watering cans 
and vintage plant stands that I paint green :)


I've slipped one gallon nursery pots of white candytuft
into decorative containers for my tables. 

They have a lovely, sweet scent. 


Candytuft is a spreading, evergreen, shrub-like perennial
that blooms in early spring. 

You can read how to grow Candytuft here.


These will also bloom for weeks. 


The larger pots hold silver Dusty Miller

More primrose and candy-tuft reside in the 
vintage plant stand and hanging basket 
between the doors. 


Just beyond the deck I have more white flowers blooming. 



 I planted these Sweet Box shrubs years ago. 
I was at a large nursery and caught the scent of 
something very sweet. 

I followed the scent and found these evergreen beauties :)


I've never pruned them, so they are rather wild,
but fit right into this wilderness setting. 


Growing among them is another sweet-scented 

You can click on the name links to find  
more information on each plant. 


I like to open the doors to let the scent inside
on warm, sunny days. 

Or should I say, warm, sunny moments! 
Right now it is hailing....


My plant rack holds White Pansy and Sweet Alyssum, ready for potting up.




The purple flowers are Rock Cress.
I have had these in pots for years;
they are very long-lived.


I found the metal trough planters at my local craft store.


As I putter with my flowers,
a cool breeze sends all the wind chimes tinkling.

I love listening to the wind through the trees.
There are so many trees that
it sounds like ocean waves - rising and falling.

By the time I come inside, my hair is wild, like a child's,
and my cheeks are rosy.

And I need a tissue :)
The pollen makes me sneeze.


The white flowers of Star Magnolia brighten up the parking area.

Ivy drapes across a sagging wire fence.


These little trees have large star-shaped, waxy blooms
in early spring.


They are especially pretty in the rain.


The delicate white blossoms of Wild Plum
light up the woodlands at this time of year, too.

Here we are greeted at the gate by one in full bloom.

Later in the season, the small purple plums are a favorite
of the local birds and wildlife.


This year I am seeking serenity in a world
that sometimes seems less than serene.

White is the color of peace.


We can't control the world at large,
but we can create a peaceful refuge of our own.


A place where we can envision a better world.



xoxo

"Peace comes from within.
Do not seek it without."
- Buddha -


"Do your little bit of good where you are;
it's those little bits of good put together
that overwhelm the world."
- Desmond Tutu -


xoxo

Today I am linking with:

Cooking and Crafting with J&J

Floral Passions - Floral Bliss

Lets Add Sprinkle's - Keep in Touch

Won't you join the fun?


22 comments:

  1. It looks like you have summer already <3 Lovely photos. On my screen they look a bit dark, did you do that with purpose? But nevertheless beautiful! White flowers look always so fresh and they stand out so nicely in the evening.

    Wishing you a lovely week Karen <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of all white flowers in pots. Yours look beautiful with the soft green and natural wood all around them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do hope you have sunny days soon. It makes the photos so dark without it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this wonderful post with lovely white blossoms. I just bought a stephanotis, no blooms yet, and I bought a gardenia also with buds and one open bloom at the moment. Smells so wonderful. One of my very favorite scents. Two different jasmines are in bloom at the moment also filling the air with their scents.

    As Riita said above, the photos are a bit dark, but I didn't know if it was because of your weather or what. A bit of mystery.

    Enjoy your lovely deck filled with all of that beauty in plants and accessories ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your sweet visits! Yes, dark days here, causing low light but the sun is returning for the end of the week. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Karen, you have done a great job with planting all of those pretty white flowers. You deck looks so beautiful! I hope you enjoy going out there to relax.
    We still have cold weather that won't get past 50 degrees. I can't wait to do some planting of flowers and veggies in my yard perhaps in May.
    Enjoy the rest of the week.
    Julie xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Karen ..It seems that you have found tranquility and are becoming one with nature in your new environment. Your floral deck decor is enchanting and so appropriate for the setting, as are the peaceful white blossoms..You have created such a beautiful display. This was a lovely post.
    It’s still sleeting and snowing here but the temperatures are rising and there is a bright outlook for Spring. Wishing you a beautiful week... Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Karen!I love visiting your lovely and peaceful world!Your deck is beautiful and I love your green planters as well as the adorable flowers!Wonderful landscapes.Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Karen such a lovely post, I have never thought to do an all white flower scheme, I try to do a little different every year. It looks so pretty and we all can use a bit of peace in our lives I am sure.
    I wish you more days of sunshine and warming temps :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everything around you is sweet,clean and crisp.You're a nature lover for sure!Wish you a lot more power to keep going on. Love the quotes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good morning, sweet friend! It's a beautiful morning with the sun shining brightly and no wind...yet. I had better enjoy it because we are supposed to get rain and snow tonight and tomorrow.

    Oh, how beautiful your home is. I LOVE seeing everything you do to make your home extra beautiful and inviting. You have a gift.

    Thinking of you and sending hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Karen, what a beautiful post. Your lovely home nestled into those wonderful trees is such a serene setting.All the white flowers are beautiful and against all the green it is breathtaking. Seeing your iron planters makes me remember that I have a couple and need to get them from wherever they now are! Thanks for your visit and for sharing all of your beauty today..Happy Thursday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I so agree, dear Karen, that white evokes a sense of calmness and peace, and together with green, it is so relaxing. I love your watering cans and your vintage plant stands, and I've always admired the angel in the bird cage...sigh. Yes, we can't control the world at large, but we can control our own little world of HOME. We've had hailstorms the last two Fridays. My poor oak leaf hydrangea's leaves took a beating.
    I hope you have a good rest of the week. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Joining you from the (ok one of...) the land of Buddha. That quote is soo true and you have nailed it, such a peaceful home you have created, it is truly beautiful, even with the hail!
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
  15. your porch/deck always looks so beautiful. i am dying to get outside to get my hands dirty but it is just not warm enough yet. i always lean towards shades of purple flowers, mixed with white. white is so simple, pure and beautiful....

    this week, i planted a lot of my vegetables indoors, so they will be ready for the outdoors in 6 weeks or so!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is so very beautiful! And I learned something. I didn't realize about planting the primroses. I have two (so far) that I bought at Easter and they are beginning to lose their blooms. I'll just keep them hydrated and if spring ever comes, plant them!

    Thanks for coming by Marmelade Gypsy and leaving such a nice comment! I'm signed up to follow you but for whatever reason it doesn't seem to be coming through for as I look down, I have missed some posts. So, I'll try to catch up. I wonder if I unfollow and then sign up to follow again if it will click things into gear?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeanie, Thank you for your sweet visit! I think the problem might be that I was off-line for a couple of weeks with internet problems and that is why the old posts are not coming through. So glad that you stopped by and hope you visit again! xo Karen

      Delete
  17. I did enjoy reading the quotes you've used in your post ...

    White flowers are lovely, they give a sense of peace which is sometimes needed in our ever increasing busy and topsy turvey world.

    I hope the week ahead is a good one for you.
    My good wishes

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  18. O My!! I love how pretty your deck looks!! I love the white flowers and I love the color green of the furniture...So pretty!!
    Thanks so much for stopping by!!
    Hugs,
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh what gorgeous white flowers all around your place! Looks like a great setting for a wedding or a child's dedication, or something! Maybe you and your hubby could renew your vows! :-) I just love all these gorgeous blooms. The primrose are my favorites! I am back from my break...after spending time writing, painting and house cleaning, we had a trip we had to make to Portland and Vancouver, so we stayed two nights so we could do some sightseeing. But I was sick all during that, and when I got home it took me a few days to recover! Think I'm pretty much up to speed again! :-) We had a great time though!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your all white flower scheme. I hope that spring has come and it there to stay. Thanks for sharing at Keep In Touch.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Goodness, here's another post I've missed, what have I been doing! I love all the white flowers especially this year when the cold has gone on and on. We've had two boiling days and then it's back to woolly jumpers and tights again. Poor old birds and plants. x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! Your comments are important to me and are very much appreciated. xx Karen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...